Love Led Me To Islam


I believe there a lots of people like me out there that are like me who converted from being a Christian to Muslim through love for their spouse.

 

I met my husband in 2006 at his brother’s office where I was a secretary. We started as friends before we got closer.

 

At the initial stage of our relationship, I was skeptical, scared, and worried for the present and future. Many things run through my mind every single day. Questions like :

Am I ready to cheat my religion for him?

Am I really going to be happy?

How will I tell my parent about this?

What will my parent say especially my Dad?

What standard am I setting for my siblings(all girls) as the first child and daughter?

What will my friend say?

Will I be able to look my pastor and church members in the eye?

I was worried that I keep going back and forth in the relationship, I am here today and I am there tomorrow. At the time, I take every little argument and misunderstanding overly seriously.

 Though most relationships have moments when you think you have had enough. Ours was more before we had one more serious issue that get us stressed that’s why sometimes  We go days, weeks without checking up on each other or talking.

 

I can recall a particular misunderstanding that went on for months, we both dated another person from our faith with the hope that we are doing ourselves a favor by not running out of love because of a different faith.


Fortunately, we both came back running into each other's arms because we cannot find compatibility in people who dated. 

 

We got back together when we are exhausted from trying to look for love in some other places because of religious differences. Sad right? that’s how it felt, it all felt wrong to make I, him, and other people suffer because of our indecisiveness.



 

Alhamdulilah, ever since then we have continued to fall in love over and over again. And today after some years of friendship and 9 years of marriage, we are still waxing stronger. We still behave like a child in each other's company.

 

Actually, some people questioned my decision to convert to Islam for the sake of love, but I made sure people around me understand that love can often be the driving force behind major life decisions. When you truly love someone, you want to build a future with them, you have to be prepared because it may require making compromises and changes in your life. In my case, converting to my husband's faith is a necessary step in order to build a strong and lasting relationship.

Of course, the decision to convert should never be taken lightly that’s why it took me a lot of  time to learn about the faith and understand the implications of your decision. Though I faced challenges from family and friends. However, I was prepared to address their concerns and answer their questions. 


At the end of it all, my relationship with Allah is personal and matters a whole lot to me. As long I am sincere in my faith and committed to living according to Islamic principles, I know I will continue to find happiness and fulfillment in my new life as a Muslim. Obviously, I still love my Christian sisters and brothers as much as I love my Muslim brothers and sisters. May the blessings and mercies of Allah be with you all. Peace………….

 

Love you, Habibi.

 

 

 

Comments